- Michigan State Law requires all dogs to be rabies vaccinated and licensed at four (4) months of age.
- Dogs must be licensed within 30 days of obtaining ownership or within 30 days of the dog turning 4 months of age.
- Kalamazoo County license tags are sold to Kalamazoo County residents only.
- Kalamazoo County licenses must be renewed yearly between December 1st and March 1st, regardless of when the previous year’s license was purchased.
- During the yearly renewal period (12/1 – 3/1), city/township offices, the Kalamazoo County Treasurer and most area veterinary offices sell dog licenses.
- Licenses must be purchased directly from Animal Services after March 1st, or if a citation was issued.
- Proof of current rabies vaccination is required to purchase a dog license. The rabies vaccination must be more than 30 days from expiration at the time of license purchase.
- After a dog is over 1 year of age, proof of spay or neuter is required to purchase a license at the altered rate.
- Licenses are not transferable to another dog.
|Full Year License||$10.00||$40.00|
|Half Year License (first-time license for new dog/resident; applicable between July 10th – November 30th only)||$5.00||$20.00|
|Late License with citation and/or officer contact*||$35.00||$65.00|
|* If an officer makes contact with you, leaves a card at your address or sells you a license in the field
NOTE: Dogs under 1 year of age pay the altered rate, regardless of spay/neuter status
Where can you get your dog licenses?
- Between December 1 and March 1 only, most area vets, all township/city offices, and the Kalamazoo County Treasurer are selling our tags.
- After March 1st, you can only purchase your tags from Animal Services or mail in your information year-round to Animal Services at 2500 Lake Street, Kalamazoo, MI 49048. For additional information contact Kalamazoo County Animal Control